Mobile-Friendly is Now a Google Search Algorithm Factor
Google's mobile ranking algorithm is going to now include mobile-friendly usability factors, which we anticipated long ago. This makes having a mobile-friendly website an absolute necessity now. We have been stressing the importance of having a responsive website design for a long time. In fact, all of the websites and landing pages that we design for our clients are responsive and we have been doing this for years. Even though we saw this coming, many small business owners have not converted to a mobile-friendly design yet.
Responsive Web Sites Will Rank Better In Mobile Search
Google said that this will go into affect on April 21, 2015, and Google’s mobile ranking factors will label your site as mobile-friendly and also use that to determine if your site should rank higher in the search results. The algorithmic change will have a major impact in the mobile search results, impacting the results worldwide. The writing is on the wall -- this is coming directly from Google. There is no more speculation. So, why are they doing this? They want their users to find it easier to get relevant and high quality search results that are optimized for their devices. eMarketer predicts that by 2018, mobile search will account for 83 percent of search spend. This is a huge number, but not alarming, when you consider that mobile traffic surpassed desktop traffic back in 2014.
The good news is that you have time to prepare, with a couple months to get your website mobile-friendly. You will want to run your website through Google's mobile-friendly testing tool and you can also review their mobile guidelines.
Just to review, here are the main reasons you should convert to a responsive website immediately:
1. Faster load times: responsive websites will render quickly on any device and screen size when coded correctly. It is ideal to have your entire website load in less than two seconds.
2. All visitors have a good user experience: it doesn't matter if your traffic comes from desktops and laptops or tablets and mobile devices. Everyone will be able to easily access your content, navigate your website and complete your offers.
3. Responsive designs are better for SEO: Google doesn't hide the fact that they prefer a responsive design over having a separate mobile URL. You avoid duplicate content issues and it's also easier to maintain, having to only update one website.
4. Mobile traffic numbers continue to rise: mobile traffic outpaced desktop traffic last year and it isn't going to slow down. If your website isn't already mobile0friendly you are missing out on conversions. The sooner you adapt a responsive design, the sooner you will see your conversion numbers increase.
5. Social media and content marketing attracts mobile users: with more users accessing the web and social media on their mobile devices it results in an increase of mobile referral traffic. You have to be prepared to take advantage of this traffic.
If you don't have a responsive website yet you need to take action before Google includes mobile friendliness as a ranking signal. We love redesigning websites, giving them a fresh modern look and ensuring they are responsive and easy to maintain. If your business would like more information or to receive a quote for a responsive design please contact us.