How Decreasing Options Will Increase Your Conversion Rates [Infographic]
When talking about conversion rate optimization it is common practice that decreasing the number of options will actually increase the number of conversions. When a consumer is presented with too many options they become overwhelmed and confused, which results in them leaving without selecting any of the options.
Imagine if your business offered a simple service that a large percentage of the population needed. If you had a dozen price plans it would end up pushing a lot of potential customers away because they would be confused and they wouldn’t know what plan is best for them. Now, if you reduced it down to just a few options it makes their decision much easier. This would naturally lead to a higher conversion rate.
This infographic from QuickSprout highlights data showing how reducing the number of options leads to an increased conversion rate.
Reducing Options Data
From every 100 conversions:
- Asking for a phone number reduces conversions by 5%
- Asking for a street address reduces conversions by 4%
- Asking for the age of a consumer reduces conversions by 3%
- Asking for a city and state reduces conversions by 2%
Reducing Number of Contact Fields
- Forms with 6+ fields have 15% higher conversions
- Forms with 3 - 5 fields have 20% higher conversions
- Forms with only 3 fields have 25% higher conversions
Remember, nothing beats testing. Every business and website is going to experience different conversion rates. You need to see what your audience responds the best to, and the only way to know for sure is to split test everything.